Old people and new technology do not gel! Proclaimed my angry son as I sat by the black glass-topped dining table; my reflection mocking my helplessness.
Just yesterday, he bought me a new touch screen notepad so that I could chat with him after he moves to the US.
It was a mixed emotion when he handed me his latest gift, the palm size computer - as I call it, for I knew that I was going to miss him. All my life my thoughts and actions revolved around him. Cooking his favourite food, organising his stuffs, running errands for him, and wondering each moment about his transition from an infant sleeping in my arms to a young adult. How am I going to spend my days ahead all by myself? Who will I cook for and wait till late night? Questions taunted me endlessly . I tucked my personal happiness under the overwhelming joy for my son who has achieved his career goal. Ultimately, for a mother, the child's happiness and dreams are bigger than her own.
As my tears rolled down and touched the cheeks of my reflection, I was brought back to the present.
I know I'm a little slow at learning things. After all I left college 30 long years ago. We never had this kind of exposure this youth enjoy today. To me, these new gadgets are not as "user friendly" as they appear. I needed some extra attention and coaching to understand its simple functionalities.
But that's not what upsets me. It's my son's attitude.
I don't remember walking out on him when he failed to learn new words as a kid or when he could not tell the time from an analog clock or saying the multiples of seven error free. I was always there for him; for every football match, for every swimming lessons, for each and every exams... Every time he took up a new hobby and left it half way, I kept my hopes and encouraged him. Never once did I scold him for trying new things or acquiring new knowledge. Never was I angry at him for not knowing something. Instead, I would sit down with him and help him out with it. Was that not enough? Have I not been a good parent? Did I not teach him something important? Patience. ?
Suddenly an ad that portraits a father-son relationship run in my mind which brought back a smile. It's the new generation issue. I cannot expect the patience I had with my elders from my new gen son. His lifestyle, priorities and experiences are way too simpler (yet self centred) than what it used to be for us. Probably sacrifice, care, politeness, tolerance, empathy, are all new to him as this gadget is for me. He will understand its true meaning only when he expects them from someone. His child, maybe. Only time can teach few of the good lessons in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment