Happy New Year!!!

5... 4... 3.... 2... 1....... 0!!!!!!


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!


The loud cheers and the exploding crackers could be heard at midnight from the not so far away church. Well this year, I had no celebrations. Back from a tiring trip, my family was too exhausted to celebrate New Year the usual style. All were off to bed early.


On the 'new' year morning, we all got up and things went as usual. The others left to office early and I was left do nothing much for the rest of the day, so, after my breakfast and little household works I went online to check my mails. And I decided to publish a buzz wishing every1 a very happy new year. I had noticed something funny this morning and that was the date. It read 1.1.11. I posted that too on the buss. After sometime I returned to my usual hobby and forgot all about the special day.


In the evening, everyone was back from office and the rest of the day was also spent normally. We had our evening tea, a little chat, mom told about her busy schedule for the rest of the week, dad also mentioned he was busy for some days and I decided to spend one more Sunday with my family before returning to college though I am already late. We watched TV for some time and then had our dinner.


At night, once again I decided to check my mails just to see if I have got any reply to any of the mails I sent in the morning. Nothing special was there. I switched off the computer and went to my table to enter my notes in my personal diary. Once again the date came to my notice. It was the first of January 2011. The first day of the new year. And it went just like that, .like just any other day... like yesterday.... so what was actually special about the day? The sun rose in the east... and the night fell after the dusk... Everything was just the same. Nothing was different except for the date.


So what does a new year actually mean? Is it just about the change of the date? A hype by the world consumer market to boost up their year end sales and revenue? What exactly is the reason for the celebration? Until last year, we used to celebrate it in our own little way. We used to go out for dinner on 31st. And return home only after midnight. There was fun in it. The joy of being together, the pleasure of doing things together, counting stars in the night sky together, laughing together and traveling at midnight together. This year we were together and we did do things together and had lots of fun like any other day. Only that we did not realize it was a new calendar year as such. Then I realized, it’s not about the date or about a new year, the celebration is about being together and being happy. And for me every day is a new year then.


Posting this as my first article of the fresh year, I take this opportunity not just to wish all my dear ones a beautiful year ahead but also to thank each and every one of them for making every single day of my life a happy one.

No comments: