Diwali Rasam

2011, Oct 26. Diwali
The uninterrupted bursting of cracker gave me sleepless night. Felt extremely tired when I woke up in the morning, but it was a long day to go. Had hell al lot of plans - movie, outing and more. Got up... got ready... only to find that it was raining outside. OH!!! Everything’s a flop now. The plan was cancelled. For a moment I wished if I was at home. Its’ was borther’s birthday (Diwali too) and I am gonna spend the day all by myself... just watching TV... the thought suffocated me. It was luck by chance that I got an extra holiday and I didn’t wanna spend it in my room watching TV.
It was just then I got a call. Picked it up with no much hope.
Me: hi Appanna...:)
He: hi, do u know to make rasam?
Me: rasam? Hahaha... yeah, why?
He: ok, come home. Let’s cook.
Me: ok... am not very sure about rasam, but let’s give it a try. Give me half an hour.
When I reached his house, he had kept everything ready for me. He said very enthusiastically “every thing is here, you just have to cook.” And he pointed at an onion cut to four pieces!!!
“That’s it??? Where are the rest of the things?” I couldn’t hide my surprise.
“That’s it ma, everything will be here. You find them. In case of doubt, don’t ask me. I know nothing”. That was an easy counter for him and he said that so innocently, I just giggled.
“ I need a tomato, some mustard, pepper powder, rasam masala, salt, curry leaves, coriander leaves, garlic, and all that.” It was more like an order, poor Appanna, had to fetch them asap.
I started to cut the onions into smaller pieces, found some salt and garlic and made tamarind juice by the time he was back with curry leaves and mustard.
Where’s tomato??? Came my instant response.
“We don’t put tomatoes in rasam ma” immediately came the answer. “Do you want to make it in Kerala style?” I was not sure how to reply, but I knew I needed tomatoes. Ok Kerala rasam - so be it. He bought them quickly. He had to go back to get some pepper powder and rasam masala as we couldn’t find them in his kitchen. (Honestly, Sirisha, his wife, would kill him if she come to know about the status of his kitchen).
Once we got every ingredient ready, the bowl was placed on the fire and oil was poured. The mustard crackled with rhythm of the crackers that were continuously bursting. Onions, masalas and other things were added... the rasam was almost ready and I was about to close the vessel, when I noticed something on the cutting board. The finely cut ripe tomatoes!!!! “Appannaaa!!!!!!” I cried in astonishment and scared him to death. He came running to the kitchen expecting a fire (or a cockroach at least). What happened ma???? “I forgot the tomatos!!!!! :(”... I could sense that he had no clue what to do about it from the empty blink he gave me. I decided that there was nothing much to be done. I fried the tomatoes separately with rasam powder and pepper powder and added them to the rasam I was preparing. After five minutes, the great “Kerala Style” rasam was ready. Meanwhile Appanna, made some scrambled eggs which he called fried egg and cooked rice and Daal.
As the Diwali crackers kept bursting at window shattering decibels... we enjoyed our Diwali Lunch in peace. The day I expected to be boring was made interesting with just a phone call. Thanks Appanna.
(I do not claim that the rasam was awesome, the extra pepper made it too hot that Appanna rang up my brother at home and reported the risk he took by inviting me to cook)

No comments: