
I was lucky to spend a day with
some of the renowned dancers in the city today. Big thanks to Yasoda aunty
(Kalashetra dancer) for treating me like her daughter, and of course, for the
kindness she bestows upon me every time we meet.
The day started with morning
practice @ 7. I watched the dancers groove to the beat and the song their guru
sang. The other half of the day, I was indulged in a marathon of attending
various dance programs held in various parts of the city. I was lucky to meet one
of the great Kalashetra dancers, fondly
called Katherine aunty (a US citizen). (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060909/saturday/stamped.htm
) A day’s stay with her made me wish if I had enough time to ask her more about
her 40+ years of career in Indian dance.
Hats-off to all those wonderful
performers (as well as their gurus) for their efforts and dedication. I really felt envious and lamented my big loss
of not continuing my shikshanam.
But what prompted me to write
down my thoughts today is not the graceful performance, but the fact that they
were semi-Indian performers from the US who managed to put up those
eye-widening, jaw-dropping shows for the Indian audience. (I met dance students from Japan and other
parts of the world too).
The time has come in Indian culture
that very little of it remains with the youth today for I have seen children
speaking the most opulent English and some others who struggle to get their ‘er’ and ‘oa’ strike the right tone. All thanks to the British invaders who
gave us the sweet seductive taste of the western civilization. Ask a youngster
what civilization is - s/he might go on for hours about how man is different from other animals, education,
the growth of science, interaction with the outside world, keeping up with the hottest
trends, and probably Facebooking! If his/her history classes have a strong
base, probably a para or two about the Indus valley civilization can be
expected. I sincerely doubt if they would have the slightest notion that they belong
to a country of great tradition – where one of the first and the most talked
about civilization budded and bloomed.
I mean; today, when we and our
fellow people find joy in the jazz and bass of western music and dance, I witnessed
a lot of international students who, with all their hearts, have embraced the un-diluted
version of the South India soul – the art of south Indian dance. When people
from far-far-away have realized the wealth and value of our tradition, I wonder
how many of us sincerely are interested in the depths of our art and culture.
If this is to continue… that is
to say; if we keep mugging up what sizzles in the west while they sponge-up our
true ethnicity, it would one day come in a full circle. That way, if we keep
following the western style for long, I am glad we might finally land up with
our very own traditions (only to be re-learned from some foreigners). Then,
maybe, you would hear youngsters singing praises of our culture. Tradition,
then, would have become the fashion!
No comments:
Post a Comment