Summer Story - a prickly experience

Here goes another entry right out of my personal experience because I had to write about it.
Living in Chennai with my one year old who is yet to get along with the hot climate here taught me a lesson today - to say "f*** **f"*when you really have to.
So the story goes something like this...
My lo who's still not accustomed to the climbing temperature of this part of India decided to grow heat rash all of a sudden. His regular bath and a splash of baby prickly heat powder was doing the rounds when my maid spotted the spots on his body and decided it was "goddesses blessing" (sorry, that what she thinks chickenpox is). Irrespective of me trying to convince her the symptoms of chickenpox which is clearly absent in this case, she was determined to get it checked with other ladies of the apartment. She took my son out to "the panel of judges" as I followed her with the hope of get support of those well educated women who chose to be house wife. There I stood as my maid proclaimed that the child was ill and I politely told them it isn't. They checked my son head to toe and proclaimed the maid was right. I tried to reason with them but in vain. My plea fell on deaf ears. They were accusing me of not taking care of a chickenpox patient and ran here and there - brought some neem leaves and turmeric water which they eventually used on my son though I told them I can do it at home with my own things. I was standing amongst 6-7 women a little elder to me who were all unanimously convinced that it was chickenpox. I was brought to tears by the anger welling up inside me. I was advised to not take him to a doctor or administer any meds (of course, I shouldn't try to treat a gods blessing, right). I was asked not to bring the child out and have neem leaves tied to the front door (indicating there is a patient inside).
Out of options and emotionally upset, I rang up my husband and he rushed home. We searched the internet and enquired with trustworthy people on - 1. Possibilities of what my lo's condition was (which proved it to be harmless) 2. the right doctor to take him to.
Finally we zeroed on the doctor we felt the best was and booked an appointment. At the clinic my son was active and playful as usual and others seemed ok to mingle with him. Nobody noticed the otherwise serious rashes on him. The doctors confirmed that it must be the heat and ruled out any possibilities of a serious health condition or chicken pox. He also told me that chickenpox is as common as anything else and it wouldn't affect son any way, but this was definitely not that. He gave me a calamine lotion for his body and sent us home.
With all due respect and thanks to all those women for their kindness and care for my son, I wish to highlight that not everything that seems right for you is the truth. As long as you are not a certified doctor, do not judge others health condition and suggest remedies. You may end up doing more harm than help.
(Just for my very benevolent mom, I would like to thank those ladies who helped me take my son to a doctor and get it confirmed )

No comments: